Fushi no Kami - Volume 1, Chapter 3

Even in this village, when we don’t even know the exact date, I know I’m now nine years old when winter has come. My study is doing better than I expected. Handwritten books are sometimes difficult because of the writer's bad habits and typographical errors, but once I get used to them, I don’t mind so much. Although I can't say that if I don't understand the context. 

Three months have passed since I persuaded Priest Folke. Today, I'm starting to feel that the days are getting longer. I have finished reading through easy-to-read stories. I don't know advanced vocabulary yet, but I'm no longer stumbling upon common vocabulary. It's safe to say that I'm no longer studying for reading and am reading the book itself. It's such a good day, but I have some concerns. It's about time for spring, so it's likely that I won't have time to read. Of course, field work will get busy during spring but,――My father seems displeased that I'm going to borrow a new book.

"What are you going to do by reading books? No matter how much you read, it won't become a grain of wheat. In spring, books are useless."

My father has no understanding of academics. In this village where the literacy rate is low, if someone can read and write, they are already considered an academic.

This is too sad. 

We could learn, try, think, and create a much richer life, but no one is doing that.

However, I think that the whole village has the similar idea as my dad, so even if I'm ridiculed, I could only smile. Even if I argue, it will not be accepted by the other party. Since I don't know what will happen in the future, it's best to not burn the bridge yet.  That's why I put up with it now. When the time comes, I'll let them know by punching it on their face. As my determination ignites again, I visit the church. There, Priest Folke seems to be waiting. 

"What happened, Priest Folke?"
"There's something I want to talk about."

Recently, he has had a good complexion.

The bear under his eyes was completely gone, and fat seems to return to his cheek. It turns out that he was a surprisingly cool man, and in the village, people have been whispering that the dead man has come back alive. 

"What kind? I don't think I've ever heard of a request from Priest Folke."
"Well, it's actually the first time. I have only come to borrow books."

I pass through his private room and Priest Folke usher me to sit down. This is the first time he has done that. 

Leaning on the headrest, I sit comfortably on the chair. I'm still short, so it's kind of sad that my feet can't touch the ground yet.

"So Ash finished another book again."
"Yes, it's all thanks to Priest Volke's goodwill. I'm very grateful."

I slowly bow and Priest Folke smile with a healthy face.

"Goodwill, huh." (Fast update at https://silver-slime.blogspot.com/)
"Yes, goodwill."

Since that day, I never bought up about the contract anymore. So everything is Priest Folke's goodwill.

"Well, it's fine considering my feelings. Right now, even if you say that you don't want to read a book, I will still force you to read a book."
"I don't think I will ever say that I don't want to read a book, so there is no need to force me."

I wonder if something happens. Certainly, a church also serves as an educational facility, my presence as the sole student might be valuable. But just because there are no other students, doesn't mean there is no complaint. You can see it by looking at the rumors before I come to the church. Priest Folke cut into the main subject with a feverish gaze that he never had before.

"There is a book I want you to read because you don't seem to be an ordinary child.”
"Oh?"

It's not like I'm smart, but for people who don't have the memories of their past life, I might look like a prodigy. I wonder what kind of book you want me to read. At least, there is something interesting in this village without entertainment. 

"What kind of book is it?"
"Well, it's a bit.. It's a book that needs to be explained but right now, take a look."

Priest Folke takes out a book from a special box and puts it on the desk. It is different from the books on the shelves. It seems to have been carefully crafted so that it can be stored for a long period of time.

"Oh, this is not any normal book."
"Yes, it is quite special. Try to read it."
"Then, please excuse me."

If you turn over the leather-covered cover, there is a title-like character inside.

First of all, the character was something I have never seen in the past 3 month. It's handwriting that I've never seen. It's not just handwriting. It's written very neatly. Probably it's because it has been written carefully, one by one. The shape of the letters and the spacing between the letters are too tidy.

It's like a print.
And I can't read it.

When I turn to the next page, the letters are still organized. But some letters are a bit off from each other and it reminds me that this is not a print. How much time and energy have the writer exhausted to finish this one book? The high-quality binding show how important it is. 

However, I cannot read the contents.

Even if I consider that the characters in books are far more beautiful than the books I have read, I can't find anything in common. Even if I found a character similar to the one I know, I don't know the meaning because I don't know the characters before and after it.

"How is it, Ash? Can you read it?"

Cautiously but brimming with expectation, Priest Folke askes me.
I shake my head, feeling apologetic that I can't bring him good news. 

"No, unfortunately..."
"I see..."

Priest Folke exhaled a deep sigh.

"There are letters that are similar to the ones I know, but there are too many letters that I don't understand, which makes no sense. What kind of books is this?"
"For that, first I have to explain."

Priest Folke looks at the book with a discouraged and dejected look. 

"This is a manuscript of a book that seems to belong to the early civilization."
"Ancient civilization?"

What with that surprising word!

"What is that reaction? The story of ancient civilization should have appeared in the book that you read."
"Eh, yes, it came out... but?"

There was a story of a beggar who was happy with the treasures found in the ruins of an ancient civilization, and, conversely, a tyrant who destroyed himself.

But
But still.

"A manuscript of ancient civilization...?"

The manuscript of ancient civilization. A group of regular letters that looks like a letterpress. If so, wouldn't typepress technology be popular in that ancient civilization?

No, no, it's too early to expect.

The mechanism of letterpress printing is simple. There is an overwhelming difference between the success of letterpress printing and its prevalence. The ancient civilization in the story had a description that made it feel more technology than modernization, but one can't assume that it was the true ancient civilization.

In my past life, there were anecdotes such as the fact that ancient civilizations had put computers into practical use and possessed nuclear weapons. But in fact, to the best of my knowledge, no traces of advanced technology have been found from the remains of ancient civilization.

Yes, it's not good to dream too much. I'll be depressed afterwards.

Apparently, because of the lack of stimulation in this world, I'm having trouble with my imagination.

"It was rude of me. So, this is a copy of an ancient civilization book?"
"Yes, it is said that the ancient civilization of the first half was about 2,000 years ago."

Considering the history of the previous life, 2,000 years are pretty close to it

"The successor to the early ancient civilization is called the late ancient civilization. This is about 1,000 years old."

So there are two ancient civilizations. No, isn't it normal that there are more?

"The letters we use now are the ones used in this late ancient civilization. A long time has passed since late ancient civilization, but the letters are almost the same and can be read. This information is for certain."

"Huh. That's amazing. I want to read it once."
"You can read manuscripts by going to the temple in the city. The originals are not well preserved, so we can't touch them."
"I'm afraid to touch the original. I just want to read it, so a manuscript is enough."

However, it is amazing to be able to read a book from 1,000 years ago. There were literary works from 1,000 years ago in my past life, but the letters were so different that it was very difficult to read. Since handwriting was the mainstream 1,000 years ago, and there were no clear rules for the characters used. After 1,0000 years later, print was the mainstream, and the characters used had exact rules.

"So, it is said that the origin of the characters of the late ancient civilization is the early ancient civilization."
"Hmm. You can read the one from 1,000 years ago, but you can't read one from 2,000 years ago?"
"Yes."

Well, no one can blame them. It's a difficult task just to read the letters from 2,000 years ago. Even though it has been the foundation for late ancient civilization's. However, it could be confusing exactly because it had been used as a foundation. 

I'm convinced that's the case.

But.

"I was studying in the royal capital because I wanted to read it."

Priest Forke complains with a completely unsatisfied voice.

"I talked with people doing the same research many times. I read past research, but I still can't read it at all."

Priest Folke never actually raised his voice. I put the book gently down. And yet, I can tell that he is enthusiastic about his crazy passion. He can't accept that. No, he simply just can't give up on it. 

"In the royal capital, I was known by the temple as a research expert, but because I didn't get any results, I was sent to this place."

Still, I couldn't give up on deciphering the ancient language, so I spent a lot of money and brought only one manuscript.

He has been trying to read this book every night so that the bear under his eyes wouldn't disappear. I learn the truth of the dead priest from Priest Folke's story.

"Why do you have a manuscript of ancient civilization ...?"
"Well, I'm also curious why."

To my question, Priest Folke looks happy.

"Honestly, I don't really understand. I don't even know why I'm so particular about it now and in the past."

But, Priest Folke looked at me with an increasingly happy face.

"Maybe Ash, for the same reason you wanted to read a book."
"―I see."

Involuntarily, I also smile.

The same reason as me is because it's fun, right?

"If so, it can't be helped."
"Yes, it can't be helped"
"It can't be stopped."
"Yeah, it can't be stopped."

The two of us shrug our shoulders and laugh at each other.

"Since you've shown this to me, that means you want to ask me to help you on deciphering it."
"Of course. When I lent the first book, it was brilliant to be able to read the full text from a few clues. Anyone can think of it, but it's not as easy to do."
"I'm honored."

I am also interested in the early ancient civilization, which is a transcendental rare book. This is a good opportunity.

"For the time being, what do you know from the research so far? Can you tell me?"
"Oh, leave it to me. It's not a wonder you said that there are similar letters. This is because there is consensus among the research so far."

It must have been very stressful for the folk priest to be thrown into such a remote area and unable to decipher ancient civilization's book――rather than that, it must be hard to not be able to discuss it with anyone.

After this, we continued to talk happily until the sun went down.I am quite exhausted, but when I see a carefree smile on Priest Folke, I thought it didn't seem too bad. 


Previous | Index | Next


Comments

  1. Seem like this priest is a good person but just dont have a friend to share his ambition until now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment