Fushi no Kami - Volume 1, Chapter 1 (2/3)

Priest Folke looks at the bookshelf behind him and snorts. It causes the dust on the shelves to sway.

"What are you going to do after reading a book? Especially in nowhere like this."

Perhaps he wants to say that in a poor village, books are useless. With a self-deprecating smile, Priest Folke certainly looks like a deadman. A dead lonely man who protects the graveyard called bookshelf.

It seems like I can't read books without persuading him.

"Yes, I'll enjoy books as it is for the time being."

The dead priest tilt over his tired face.

"What are you talking about?"

"You should've asked yourself the same question! It's a book! A book! Isn't it something you should enjoy? This world is too harsh! We can't even have the luxury to enjoy a day without doing anything!

To me, who knows a wealthy life with memories that seemed like my previous life, the poverty of this world is not normal. It feels ten times harder than anyone else. There are many times I feel like I want to punch myself. It wouldn't be surprising if I have gone insane. It's how painful living in this world is. However, I realized something yesterday. I realized it when the village chief's wife read a book that looks normal.

Immerse yourself in the world of books and heal your heart!

That's right. If reality is painful, you can enjoy something outside of reality. Such as, fantasy world!

"It's not logical. Do Priest Folke need a purpose to eat when you're hungry? Do we need a purpose to rise to the surface and take a deep breath when we are drowning?"

When the eight-year-old child ranks, the dead priest immediately nods his head in fluster. 

"Well, we'll eat without thinking much."
"Right? That's why I'm reading books for fun!"
"I see." (Read more at https://silver-slime.blogspot.com/)

After nodding, Priest Folke can't help but to reach out to the shelves. 

"Wait, that doesn't make sens――"
"Which part doesn't make sense! This pure feeling of wanting to read books!?"

With burning desire, I stare at Priest Folke right in the eyes. If I can kill a person only by looking at them, I feel like I can kill them a hundred times. It's just how much I want to read. Well, I'm actually quite worried about my rationality as I appear like this. This is not a joke, but let's say it's a joke. Perhaps my feeling was understood, Priest Folke who already has a pale face, makes an uncomfortable complexion and nodded carefully.

"Okay, I understand. But, can you read letters?"

I snorted at a question that's not worth a question.

"Priest Folke, how many people do you think that can read in this village?"
"Two. Three if you included me."
"That's right. So you know after all."
"Then doesn't it mean you can't read at all!"

But I can read and write characters from my previous life.

It's been eight years since I was born in this world. Not only have I only seen a handful words, so this is something that you can't blame on me. 

"This is not even worth talking about. I wonder where did you learn to talk like that but I'm not going to teach some kid how to read and write."
"Oh, so you don't plan to teach me."

However, I have already expected that. From the rumors in the village, and from what I've seen, Priest Folke is rotten. It doesn't mean he is a bad person. This man in his early thirties seems to have lost his motivation and aspiration because he was sent to such a remote area from the royal capital. It's the fate of the relegated elite. I have long prepared that I'll unlikely to succeed asking a favor to a person like that.

"If that's the case, it can't be helped. Please lend me a simple book. I won't bother you any further."
"Don't be stupid. Do you know how expensive a book is? What if it gets soiled or sold?"
"Isn't that good? No one will notice if a single book disappears."

Hearing my words, Priest Folke once again looked at the bookshelf which was accumulated with dust and clicked his tongue. He can't deny my words when it's the truth, that he doesn't properly manage the books. 

"You have guts to say something like that to a priest, shitty brat."
"This isn't much. No matter how angry Priest Folke is, it won't bother other villagers at all. Especially after I obtained money from selling the books."

In this village, the value of a book is equal to zero. If I were to steal it, it means I'm blind as a thief because no one would care for the book. If there are witnesses, there is even a chance it will be overlooked once you bribe them. But since the value of a book is equal to zero, it's no different from picking up a stone at the roadside way back home. Therefore, nobody would've thought stealing a book is an act of stealing. 

Don't Priest Folke also think that way? I bet he does. I smile as I look up at Priest Folke.

"This shitty brat.. Are you threatening me?"


Back | Next

Comments