Fushi no Kami - Volume 1, Chapter 1 (3/3)

Please don't make such a scary face. I'm not saying things that might sound like a threat because I wanted to threaten you. I just want you to faithfully fulfill your role of an educator as priests from the church. Aren't you the one who tried to sabotage your own work?  I'm just stating my rights to study in a way that might sound threatening. Even an eight-year-old can tell which is the bad guy.

"Well, I think you can believe that I don't plan to sell the books now."

If that time actually comes, instead of borrowing it then sell it, I would rather steal then sell it. I smile as that thought passes my mind. 

"However, it is difficult to keep it clean. I will be careful but sometimes accidents will happen."

I said before Priest Folke could retort with anything. 

"In the first place, won't a book be damaged and worn out in the course of time?"
"Well, it's true that books will be worn out as time passes."

As expected, Priest Folke affirmed my words. If this is a human who has lost his rationality, it won't work. It is really nice to know that Priest Folke is a logical person. I feel relieved as I interpret the hidden meaning between his words.

"Yes. The books will inevitably be deteriorated. They will deteriorate and eventually rot. I wonder how many times these books have been read up to now. And how many times will they be read in the future."

I don't know, of course, but certainty it has and will not be read much in the future. At least, it'll lose its shape before it's worn out by being read too much.

"A book is more desperate for me to read and damage it, rather than being kept in the dust and deteriorated in course time. If I read it, I might be able to rewrite and bring the knowledge back."
"That's true."

Priest Folke nods several times with his arms folded, seemingly impressed with my words.

"You are really good with your words. Are you really a peasant's child? Are you sure your family is not a merchant? "
"I think you already know..."
"That's right. Well, it's okay. I'll lend you a book because you're good with your mouth, so read it carefully to preserve it for future generations."

It seems like this flow is going with where I want as rationality seems to return to Priest Folke. 

"No, wait, wait, wait! But you can't read!?"
"Damn, you noticed it again."
"This shitty brat almost tricked me again!"
"What do you mean by tricking you? I'm an innocent, defenceless eight years old boy."

What a horrifying way to say. It's not like I'm trying to trick him. It may sound like a scam, but I'm just trying to convince him. 

"Well, I'm sure I can't read it now, so lend me a simple book. I'll remember it myself."
"You stupid brat. If it's that easy to learn, would a priest like me be brought to this kind of place?"
"Nobody says it's easy to remember. Please lend me a book that contains the scriptures that Priest Folke often used at festivals. Something like a textbook that summarized that? Or a sermon collection is good too."

Priest Folke make a face as though he is thinking deeply about what a fraudsters had just said. He must be wondering if I'm plotting something through my words. Once again, I'm just persuading him to let me read books in a way that might sound threatening or fraudulent. I won't actually do anything like that. Please believe in the innocent eyes of this eight-year-old kid.

"I don't know what you're planning to do."

Priest Folke really has bad eyesight. I think this is mainly due to lack of sleep.

"Well, that's fine. If that's the case, there's a manuscript I wrote. It can't be sold or become money, and it wouldn't be a problem if it got dirty."
"Oh, thank you very much! Priest Folke, God bless you!"

It's worth pursuing Priest Folke. As expected, a proper though time-consuming talk is the best. Not only violence, but fraud and intimidation is a barbarian without rationality. People have the ability to understand each other. I grab the manuscript Priest Folke said with a deep sense of accomplishment. However, Priest Folke holds it tightly as if he doesn't want to hand it to me. 

"Thank you for the opportunity. Please be assured that I will take care of it carefully."

Bastard, release your hand, is what I'm trying to convey. 

"Listen properly. Don't do anything weird or improper. Don't upset adults."
"What do you mean by doing something weird? It's not like I'm trying to threaten anyone."

Quick, let your hand go. This is mine now. Priest Folke seems hesitant at first, before finally letting go. That's right, you should've just handed it to me from the beginning. Instead of replying with blessing as what a priest should've done, his eyes trace over the book― No, I should say, the bundle of papers and glace over the words that I can't read. Among them, I found a few characters I have seen. I decided to ask Priest Folke.

"Priest Folke, please tell me how to read this sentence"
"Didn't you say that if I lend you a book, you won't bother me anymore?"
"Yeah, I told you clearly. So don't use your hand and speak instead." 

Don't make such a speechless face and tell me quickly. If you really tell me this, I won't bother you. At least for today.

According to the Priest Folke, that sentence is a prayer verse that peasants often use. It means, "A strong wolf god, a wise monkey god, a ferocious dragon god". As expected, it has something to do with "wolf god," "monkey god," and "dragon god." I could conclude from the similarity to the letters engraved on the three statues enshrined in the church. I'm glad. This character is a phonetic alphabet, not an ideograph.


Back | Next

Comments