Fushi no Kami - Volume 1, Chapter 7

Since the case with the travelling merchant, Mr. Quid, my father no longer complains when I read a book. Though he still appears sarcastic, there are no more direct insults as before. It feels like I have taken the first step to create a life that is easier to live in. That's why I am able to visit Priest Folke with light steps.

"Priest Folke, are you eating properly?

"Are you my wife?"

What is this person saying to a child? I just care about the physical condition of a research idiot that deserves more than being in this remote place. Also, same-sex marriage is not allowed in this world.

"What outrageous thing are you saying?"

"Because you're too noisy. Also, you're quite cheeky while talking to adults too."

"Please look at your management ability which is worrisome for children before insisting that you are an adult."

"As usual, you're still a talkative guy ..."

If you combine the memories of previous life, my age has surely exceeded Priest Folke.

"So how is the deciphering?"

"Nothing new at all. I can't decipher even a single letter."

Despite saying so, Priest Folke's face looks excited. Compared to the time in winter when he was depressed, I think he rekindled his joy to decipher now. 

"But it doesn't mean I don't find new findings. I've identified some of the most frequent words."

"Then, do you want to tackle from there first?"

"Yes, first from here. As you said, this method seems to be the best shortcut."

Earlier, in discussions with the priest Folke, I suggested that when deciphering ancient words, we start with words that appear many times, especially words that seem to be proper nouns. I thought that the part written in phonetic characters as in Japanese might correspond to particles. If you know the nouns, you may be able to find content that matches the literature transmitted to the late ancient civilization. For example, if you find the name of a god who is still worshiped, the text before and after it may be the same as the existing scriptures. If that happens, decryphing process will be able to proceed at once. It's a time-saving way. Of course, this isn't my idea. It's something I've heard in my previous life. And I don't have the patience to challenge the vast and incomprehensible ancient words. Good luck, Mr. Champollion from another world.

"So what kind of book do you borrow today?"

"May I look at what book we have right now?"

"Of course, it's part of our contract."

Priest Folke nods with a bitter smile, and I make a small smile. It's a really nostalgic story.

I take some books from his room and sit down on a chair in the church, then start reading. Today I'm going to borrow a book that tells me about general education, not a story. However, the scope of general education is endlessly wide. So, to some extent, I want to read the contents a bit first and decide how far is good.  Travelogues and autobiographies of aristocrats also seem to be interesting. Extensive knowledge may be gained with obstructed information. On the other hand, I was surprised to find information about agriculture in technical books such as blacksmithing and architecture. Perhaps it's because it may have inherited from ancient civilization. There is no one who can read it, and people who can read it are not involved in these professions, so it seems meaningless to categorize it by itself.  I found a botanical picture book. When I picked it up, another person came to the cathedral. It is unusual for people to visit the church outside of festivals. Looking up, she is a girl of the same age as me.

"Oh, Miss Maika. Hello."

It's Miss Maika who comes inside the church.

"H-Hello, Ash." (Fast update at https://silver-slime.blogspot.com/)

It seems that she is nervous because she is unfamiliar with visiting the temple church alone. She is very popular among boys of the same age because she usually greets with a bright smile. The daughter of the village mayor may be one of the reasons for her popularity. I talk to Miss Maika, who has an uneasy face that says she doesn't know what to do, with a reassuring smile. 

"Are you looking for Priest Folke? He is in the private room at the back."

"Oh, thank you. That's right... Um."

Without going to where Priest Folke is Miss Maika picks up her hair in a ponytail and plays with it. Looking at how nervous she is, it seems it's the first time she ran for an errands. However, if I look at her any longer, I will be no other than a villain who enjoys watching another person struggle. As someone who knows manners, I come to rescue her. 

"If you want, would you like me to call Priest Folke?"

"A-Ah! There is no need!"

Apparently she refused to be helped. When you're extremely nervous, for some reason you get into denial. It happens. Sure enough, Miss Maika's reaction seemed to stem from that, and after realizing, she blushed and rephrased her words. 

"I, I'm sorry. Could you help me to ask him?"

"Of course, Miss."

I felt sorry for her, so I tried to be as polite as possible. I thought it would help to soothe her a bit, but it caused more mental damage than I expected. It also doesn't suit me at all. 

"Priest Folke, it seems like Miss Maika is looking for you. Do you have anything for her?"

"Maika? Well, that's rare."

Priest Folke comes out of the private room while tilting his head, probably because he has no idea what she is doing here.

"Hello, Maika. Is there something I could do for you?"

Priest Folke's voice sounds so soft. Isn't it too different from the time with me? I was called a fucking kid. Is he going to be called lolicon priest next?

"Um, so.. I want to ask if it's possible for you to teach me how to write.."

Miss Maika glances at me with her blushing ears and whispering.

By the way, it is already known in the village that I can read letters. If you go to the temple church so much, it's natural to talk about what you are doing there. Miss Maika must have heard the story. The fact that the son of a farmer can read and write may have been something that the village mayor family thought his children should be able to read and write too. It must be awkward if I were there. Perhaps Priest Folke also noticed that as he looked at me from sideways.

Wait. Are you planning to be harsh to her as you did to me? What would you do if she cried? I'm just a special case, and people who don't study are more common in this village.

"If that's the case, I'll help you as a priest, because that's the role of a priest."

Somehow the enthusiastic Priest Folke surprised me. Even though you didn't want to teach me at all. And that you're crazy about deciphering ancient words now.  Priest Folke has a bad temperament as my father, so I'm actually worried when I heard he will teach someone. 

"That's right. Priest Folke teaches really well."

To be safe, I strongly agree and cut off Priest Folke's escape route. Good luck, Miss Maika. I think it'll be a bit hard, but it's really nice when you get to read books afterward. However, the following words from Priest Folke made me stop on my food.

"But I'm busy with other work, so I can't teach you. However, there is Ash here who can read and write."

Why did it suddenly come down to that? 

"It's also a good thing. The two of you are the same age, so it'll be easier to talk. Don't you think so, Ash?"

What are you thinking of? That'll only put Miss Maika in an awkward position!

"T, That's true. If Priest Folke is busy, then I will ask Ash..."

See, it's really awkward for her. I tried to think of something to save myself and Miss Maika from this awkwardness, but Priest Folke just concluded everything beautifully.

"Then, it's settled. Please take care of her, Ash. You're my number one student after all."

"... I'm glad to be your number one student. Then, Priest Folke is the teacher."

This blockhead. This is why you don't have a wife even though you're the appropriate age. You're heading straight to bachelor for the rest of your life, teacher.


Previous | Index | Next


Comments

  1. As expected, we have a donkan protagonist. It seemed that tales of his genius have reached the village idol (among the children) and now she wants to get close to him. Hopefully, he will realize it soon, but I might die if I hold my breath on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donkan isn't anything exciting, but it is amusing he's accusing others of his own faults.

      I doubt he's being considered a genius at this point; what he's actually done is limited, even more so when you only look at what he's done openly. But people who are steadfast and resolute in their path even in the face of opposition have an eccentric charm, and there's simply no one else like him around, so it's easy to get curious.

      Delete

Post a Comment