Fushi no Kami - Volume 1, Chapter 8

Priest Folke who is heading straight to bachelor is being too ridiculous. Miss Maika's studies should start by the next day, but I was forced to teach her. There is no upcoming festival, so the work Priest Folke is talking about must be related to decipher ancient words. This is, without doubt, sabotage toward priesthood. The holy war that once had ended, has been declared again.

However, the holy war is barely avoided as it holds a powerful advantage for me. That is the fact that the village mayor's family has told my family. My father, who keeps muttering sarcasm, had told me to do work moderately and go to the church. What a refreshing feeling! Since my workload has decreased, I could take my time reading through books after books while teaching her. It's awkward when you think of Miss Maika's position, but it's a trivial problem that'll make you laugh. 

"So that's what it is read. How about giving a try?"

"Oh, yes. I'll try, Ash."

Miss Maika seems to be still nervous, so I just smile and consciously explain in a softer tone. People's impressions mostly come from appearance, then the rest are from how they speak. Their impression will change depending on the second or third conversation. Or so I remember something like this from my previous life. 

"It seems that whether the study method is effective or not will depend on the person, but let's start with the book I used."

"Ash used this book too?"

"Yes, I borrowed it from Priest.. No, Teacher Folke."

I only borrowed it and he taught me nothing. The book I presented to Miss Maika is a scripture book for the festival. It's a manuscript written by Teacher Folke. When Miss Maika receives the book, she looks at it seriously. 

"The book that Ash used."

I feel that Miss Maika's eyes are full of enthusiasm. She has now taken the first step towards reading. I feel like I can understand how I feel when I try something I couldn't do before. It is hard to say that I was enthusiastic because I am involuntarily asked to teach, but I am motivated by her expression.

"The book contains words that Folke often uses at festivals. It's the words I often see so I thought it might be easier to remember, therefore I suggest it."

"I, I see.. That's amazing."

"It's just something passed by my mind."

I'll be troubled if you feel impressed just by that. Let's get that motivation into study rather than that. (Fast update at https://silver-slime.blogspot.com/)

"I think the first words we should tackle is the word you are most familiar with. Do you have any favorite words?"

"Um.. Then how about the first word Ash learns?"

"Well, it's this."

It's a very rudimentary word. There is nothing good about it except being used for one-time basic. I rarely use it because I don't have a religious belief.

"Then, let's do this first?"

"If Miss Maika is fine with it, then I don't mind. Let's start one by one."

First of all, let's start with 'The Strong Wolf God'. While reading aloud, trace the corresponding character with your finger to show which character corresponds to which sound.

"Therefore, this word is 'The', next is 'Strong', then 'Wolf' and 'God' in order."

I wonder if she can understand through this kind of teaching. I look at Miss Maika that's look at the book. I thought it wouldn't be possible right away, that Miss Maika won't be able to follow me immediately as she looked at me with a vague expression. 

"Let's go word by word. This is 'The'... Miss Maika?"

"Ah, yes! Yes! This is 'The', right?"

"Yes, that's right. Continuing with 'Strong' 'Wolf' 'God' ... Wolf God has a very healthy and strong body, so we often pray when a child is born or when we need to do difficult work."

I think it's not good to dump too much information at once, so I decided to change the conversation into something light. 

But then.

"So that's how 'The Strong' is written..."

With a surprised face, she muttered in amazement. 

I see. So that's it. 

At the same time as my thought, the blood draws from Miss Maika's face. It seems that she thought it was embarrassing to say it herself. I'm trying my best to hold my expression back. If I show a surprised face to a child, it'll hurt them. Even though I'm a child of the same age. I don't know if it worked, but anyway, with a bright voice, I continue the conversation as though I don't notice it. 

"In addition, the word ‘strong heart’ and ‘strong feeling’ are also using the same ‘strong’ word."

"So that's how it is..."

"You can ask me anything. If I don't understand, we can ask Teacher Folke together."


If you feel embarrassed about something you don't understand, it will be inconvenient for your future studies, so I will help you desperately.

"Um.. Does ‘The Wise’ imply to ‘Monkey God’?"

There is a question mark there. Miss Maika finally asks me a question. She still looks embarrassed but through repetition encouragement, she will be able to honestly ask what she doesn't understand. 

"Being wise means being smart. When studying like this, it may be better to pray for the monkey god to share his smartness as much as possible."

"I see.. Then, should we pray...?"

Miss Maika is still awkward but she is trying. I smile back at her attempt. 

That's good. It seems like there are hurdles we have to go through, but if it's like this, I can breathe a relief for a bit. With this pace, I hope Miss Maika will be able to read books. Like when Priest Folke talks about deciphering ancient words, it's fun to have someone who you can talk to about books. 



Previous | Index | Next


Comments

  1. Thanks for the translation. I like the story so far. My only regret is that I should've started reading when there was much more chapters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for chapter.

    I can see some flag hint here but better wait to see in future.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment